Saturday, January 3, 2009

One More Thing


As we were driving to atx, I noticed that there were a ton of empty billboards along the highway, with numbers plastered on them where one could call and buy the ad space. I've often thought about how, in an economic down, advertising is the first thing to go. Which is actually a dumbass idea, because you should continue to advertise while your competitors aren't. Buuuuut advertising is the first to make a comeback as well.

I also saw 2 billboards that I thought about during the trip.

I couldn't find a photo of this one, but it was for Starbucks. It said "Ladies and Gentlemen, start your blinkers." This is a rather old ad, I'd seen it many times before in the past several years. What I was thinking about was-- how clever this ad was when it was released, and how dated and uninterested I found it at the time. I don't think this kind of ad would fly today if it were presented to a client.

The other one I found interesting was an ad for the new McCafe
branch of McDonalds. In some of my ad classes we've discussed how McDonald's could easily break into the market that Starbucks so highly dominated. They can do it by recreating an atmosphere like the one Starbucks offered, with good coffee, only providing it at a cheaper cost to the customer. So they're trying it out here! I had heard about it happening overseas, but it's cool that it's coming around in the states.

No comments: