Friday, January 4, 2008

One of Us Has to Drive, One of Us Gets to Think

New Years Eve 2007.

Every year the party is completely different from whatever I expect to transpire, no matter how much advanced planning is involved. And it always ends up being fun anyway!


This year, the girls and I had a plan. Usually it's the four of us getting together around 9 or 10 and saying "Allright where are we going?"

The plan was to go to dinner, head to a house party or two, leave early to spend midnight in a club downtown, dancing. After the club we would just go where ever led.


A tip for my future New Years Eve plans, go to the liquor store at least a full day ahead of time. We went, and the place was elbow to elbow. It took us an hour just to buy our drinks.

So after this debacle, we went to Jason's Deli and caught a quick dinner. The it was off to the house party to pre-game. I got to be the designated driver this year, which just meant I had to drink significantly less than the others. Let me tell you, watching people drink everclear drinks while I sip on patron and coke is not bad at all. My experience with Everclear is far from pleasant, and I was determined to do my job as 'DD' anyway. After a few trips to the garage and a few drinking games, everyone was doing well. We were having such a good time, that it was hard to leave when we needed to go to the club.

As we're walking on the porch, our friend M came outside and was upset we were leaving. So we started encircling him and hugging him and embarrassing him with showers of affection. Who knows how long this went on. I am describing this moment because, at this exact same time, a really attractive boy was passing us, going into the party.
For a split second, the name of this boy was in my mind. But I thought, "no way...that can't be him..." So this guy continues to walk in and I begin to lead the girls out toward the car. Once he's inside, behind me K shouts, "WAS THAT JOSH BRUCE!?" It was. I whirled around and concured and we began losing our minds like we were back in high school again. See this guy was a Senior during our sophomore year of high school, and he was the 'it' boy. We were absolutely giddy. Nevermind the fact that we had forgotten he even existed until that moment. And with that, we left the party and headed for the club, anticipating our return and chance to meet him.

We drive downtown and park to find a club. We parked in this shady parking lot that had a police vehicle guarding the entrance. As I pull into the space, this cop begins to pass us. M says, "Oh no, that's a K-9 unit..." And so begins the anxiety. We calmly got out of the car and headed for the club, walking in the opposite direction of the fuzz.

The line for our planned destination for midnight was SO LONG. So to make a long story short, mainly because this has taken me a week to finish this entry, we walked back to the car to find another club that we might spend our new year in and ended up ringing in midnight in the car. It was fun though, we were just glad to be together.

It's decision time. The girls and I decide the best plan of action would be to head back to the party. So we drive back and continue our adventure. Drinking more than anyone should, and smoking more than necessary, it was a night to remember. There was a drinking game at some point that just turned into people sitting around drinking and taking shots. We danced, laughed and took pictures. I vaguely remember a few games of pool, conversations with the high school hottie, and playing with a pet snake. NO, A REAL PET SNAKE.


At about 4 am it was decided we should make our way home. As we drove back, the usual hunger hit, and we made the usual stop at Whataburger. Soon after, we went to G's house, I presume we ate, and then passed out. :)


I have more to write but, later.

1 comment:

Shambhu said...

Sounds like good times. I usually try to avoid driving. An alcoholic I used to work with called it, "amateur's night". At a point, I thought I'd provide some drums, for friends that were trying to work something out on their guitars. I was abit drunk, and chased them out of the room, I think. A couple of other fellows replaced them, and I stuck with it and found my groove. Justin stuck with it on the bass, and we had it together for a good little while. Afterwards he said he had felt apprehensive about coming to the party stag, as he thought he'd feel out of place with all couples, but he was glad he did, and enjoyed jamming.