Thursday, January 17, 2008

Toxic Holiday

By now most people's so-called New Years Resolutions are fading slowly and said people are falling back into their usual routine.

I prefer to think that what I have decided to make out of 2008 not as a resolution, but as a mere goal. What I have already begun doing, is something I hope will satisfy my creative needs and set up some connections for my career.

I am currently in the early stages of creating a small photography business. My mom's best friend has her own business, and over Christmas break, she took a look at some portraits I did. She critiqued them for me but really told me that they were professional work and I should think about starting a small local business. Of course I was over the moon and back at this compliment, but laughed it off at the time.

When I came back to school, the idea popped into my head again one night, and I decided to go through with it. The only thing that was holding be back before now was, the idea that as a Advertising major amongst many Photocomm majors, I wouldn't be up to par with those individuals who worked at it day in and day out. It's only my passionate release from the monotony of everyday life. But now I was thinking, sure these other people are studying, but are they actually out there doing anything with it right now? And I've gained quite a bit of experience in classes and experimentation as well, and have the eye for it, so WHY NOT?

So I've started a Web site. Black Ruby Photography. I am currently adding the extra touches to it, which is taking FOREVER and making me seriously consider a HTML class. Also, there are some fliers to design and put up all over town.

I'm going to advertise toward graduating students, graduating high school seniors, engaged couples, and any other location photography.

Today I had a small interview with a local photography shop, where I hope to work part-time until I graduate, furthering my experience with equipment and the owner's knowledge. I'll find out next week whether or not I got the position.

I am going to make something out of this year. I'm 21, and it's time I did something of substance. I can't and won't spend another year lovesick and apathetic. It just makes me feel like a fool a year later. So here I go! Join me on this interesting journey!

1 comment:

Shambhu said...

Congratulations! The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Do at least buy a html book. I recommend, HTML in Easy Steps", by Mike McGrath. It's thin, easy to understand and invaluable if you do anything on the web. Learning HTML is the equivalent of learning magic in cyberspace.