Saturday, June 28, 2008

I LOVE Being a Nerd


I was sitting at home this afternoon, chilling out, watching something on television. During the commercial break an ad for Bush's Baked Beans came on, and as I watched it, I realized I was analyzing every bit of the commercial. So I had to come in here and find out what I could about the brand and it's history, as I judge the commercial.

Here's a time line I found via the Bush's Web site. Bush Beans
I'll highlight it

So Jay Bush, the actor in the commercials is an actual family member. And as far as I can tell this business has always been a family owned business. I think that brings a lot of loyalty and respect to the brand. People see something that is still thriving from it's deep roots and they feel the need to stick with it as well.

The basic concept of each ad stems from a 1995 ad with Jay Bush and his dog Duke. The ad actually won a Gold Effie that year.

I actually think the dog is such a crappy middle-American appeasement that mocks the national intelligence, or no, just underestimates it. But maybe the dog provides the necessary recall for the brand.

So to me, keep it in the family, ditch the fucking dog. But what do I know, it seems to work! Do they seriously need to do as much advertising as they do, just to maintain the market share? It's beans for fuck's sake.

Here's the ad:

No comments: