Friday, September 11, 2009

I Take For Granted That You Just Don't Care

Hello It's Me- Todd Rundgren

A fantastic song. But look how oddly this dude is dressed in this performance.



I was thinking about Newspaper supposedly being a dying medium. I prefer to think of it as an evolving one, much like the telephone or radio over time when T.V. took the throne. Radio. What started out as small as communication between ships grew into nightly entertainment for families all over to something we use as a soundtrack to our driving adventures. And now there is XM and even online adventures like AccuRadio (whether you consider it radio or not) they call themselves 'The Next Generation of Radio'.

Here's where I started wondering about Newspaper evolution. A quick Google search of this exact term brings tons of information and opinions to me.
John Katz, media critic, former EP of CBS Evening News;

"The newspaper needs to reinvent itself. . . . The object is not to replace, or put into a different format, but to gain a toehold in cyberspace and even absorb some of its values."

Why not give the complete experience to a reader, seeing as you have that ability. What's a scoop anymore when people are twittering events faster than anyone could report them. If a newspaper goes into Twitter, they should think of as a one on one communication tool, people may be seeing a tweet in mass, but they are all not sitting together looking at one screen. Don't just shoot off headlines, how typical! If I wanted that I'd keep your site up.

I went to a conference call when I was at the agency with this man: Peter Shankman and he talked about the best way to market yourself on twitter. Make it exciting, draw the follower in, give them a reason to click through your link and read the story. Your story.

Let me touch on another mistake I think has been made. Trusted news sources, selling out their entire being to have the latest updates for you on celebrity sightings and whereabouts! Quickest way to turn a lot of potential readers off and send them to a competitor. Leave that shit to whoremongers like Perez Hilton. Even I scroll through his site or link to some news he's posted once in a while. But that's his job!

Then I got to thinking, do newspapers pay people to be bloggers of news for them? I mean, of course they do. But do they do it in such a way that it might be considered seamless to the online readers' eyes? Is that considered ethical? Isn't half the appeal of bloggers and their opinion the fact that it is their opinion and not something they were paid generously to blog about?

It's a lot to think about, and I have barely scratched the surface. I may come back to this subject as I gather more information.

In other news, my favorite music branding blog Songs For Soap has not updated in almost 2 months! What the hell. It's an AdAge blog. Someone get on that. Hell I don't have a job, let me do it.

As for that, I've been out of school for 4 months now and still can't find a job. Not for lack of trying. I really really really wanted to work for the agency I interned at, but alas, that is not possible at this time or this economy.

Sometimes I feel like I have all of these plans and all of these things I want to do with my life, my future, but I can't begin to do them until I have some sort of job to get income going. So I'm just a girl dreaming about her future, stuck in her present. Now it's time for me to stop bitching and apply for more jobs.

1 comment:

Geena said...

haha i like the last line of this one the best.