Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Want to Ride My Bicycle

get ready for a materialistic post.
I like to think I have an original style, but every so often I think--'What if that's just what they want me to think?'
Being an advertising major can really fuck with your social pattern I think. You learn about social theories and media intent and it makes you wonder if we're all just lemmings walking toward the ultimate cliff. Is there ANY original thought or desire? The Bible does say there is nothing new under the sun, but wow. ANYWAY, none of that is my point.

So for about two years or less now, I've wanted to buy or make a handmade quilt for my bed in my apartment. It's just something so personal and original, you know? Well in the fall I am going to begin taking a class with a woman I work at the hospital with on quilting. But this is too long for me to wait, because I move in to the apartment in less than a month and I need bedding. So plan B-- I went to Canton Trade Days (this huge flea market type thing they have the first weekend of every month) to find a quilt. Sadly everything I was found either too dirty to have cleaned or too damaged to repair. So I bought a new quilt from 'Quilt World' in Canton, not entirely handmade, but the only one I've seen like it yet. whoo!

As a result, the past three months have basically been my mother and I shopping around whenever we get the chance for the miscellaneous items (sheets, pillows, a chair, etc). I wanted so badly to find a chair at an antique store that would fit perfectly with my earthy, vintage mental picture I had envisioned. Never found anything under $300, what a joke.

So fast forward to this past Friday. I was standing in line waiting to get my mom and brother the ticket so they could get into the Harry Potter release party later that night and get a reserved copy of the book. I saw Pier 1 and thought I'd check to see what I could find there. Ended up really liking this wide rounded dark wicker chair... but the catalogue listed it at $150. But I figured I'd ask a sales associate about it for shits and giggles. Turns out, this chair was on sale for $40!!! buttt I had to go to another location to get it. rats. So I drive to another Pier 1, and the guy tells me the chair is damaged a little but he'll make a deal. The damage was so minor, I could fix it easily. GUESS HOW MUCH I GOT IT FOR? $15. 10% of the original price. NO JOKE. I almost died.

Another aspect of the room I've been working on and thinking over-- what to do with the walls. I have a GIANT stainless steel kickplate to rough up and paint, and I really wanted to print some of my own stuff and frame it very cleanly. After looking around quite a bit at the wall art, posters, paintings, photos, prints, etc that various stores had to offer, I felt confident that my original plan to frame some of my own work would make the room much more personal than some print. So I picked out some of my favorites, altered the view color ones I liked to Black and White and had them printed. OMG AWESOME. I sound so vain right now, but photography is one of the few things in my life that really appeals to my soul. Some of the photos were good ones of my friends, while others were objects, places, etc. I'm at work right now, but maybe I'll post some of the ones I printed later.

So now I am SUPER excited to move into my new apartment.

No comments: