Sunday, December 23, 2007

Because I'm Family Damnit

Christmas time.

On the surface, you think of Christmas as a time for family to get together and share in the warmth and love of the spirit of the season. Without fail, I look forward to Christmas every single year for this reason. I love the cold weather, the big coats, the smell of the fireplace, the lights, and the family all gathered together.

Or do I simply like the idea of Christmas?

Because cut to the real scenario. You rush around trying to buy gifts that people may or may not like, you rush around to cook, and get dressed and meet family. By the time you get to relax it's time to move on to the next location and before you know it the holiday is over. A house full of people makes for claustrophobia, and an extra warm house filled with people makes for anxiety. Add in a few screaming children darting all over the house, too much food and a little too much eggnog and you've got a family gathering.

No matter what I expect every year, I can usually count on having my appearance and relationship status being critiqued by the older women, being ignored by all the men, and having at least to children attached to my leg.
Family will tell you they only criticize you because They're family, and are the truly honest ones whose opinions matter most. Let me tell you. If I come home for Christmas feeling the best I've ever felt in my life, looking the best I've ever looked, your negative opinion about my appearance doesn't phase me. I'm going to do whatever I want regardless of whether or not you think it matches my skin tone or will attract the right man. But it also gets underneath my skin in a way I can't explain. Relatives do this because they know that you can't argue back and embarrass them and yourself in front of the entire family. So you just take it.

And you will take it, because they're the only family you get. In the end the new year will come and go, and when December comes again, the fiasco of the previous year is forgotten and you look forward to the holiday.

Merry Merry.

No comments: