Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Too Young



I guess I couldn't live without the things that made my life what it is




It would seem that being home from school always provokes thoughts and wonderment that I never experience while busy at school.




I guess my girlfriends from high school push me to ask questions and think about the most random things.




Last night K and I had a mini argument that got me going. So now I will get some of it down here.




I think that each individual's chosen profession has a lot of ties to their choices in political belief.


I see things one way, my friends see it another.




To an extent I believe that when America accepted its super power role, it incurred several inherent responsibilities as well. One of those responsibilities is maintaining that high status role. To me, it's logical to think that if America were to lessen it's grip on this power and 'soften' its principles, it would be susceptible to the whims of every single country that ever hated us or resented us. We do business. It may not be pretty, and sometimes it isn't right, but its what we bring upon ourselves. Some people think that if we were to relinquish some power and just help everyone and spew rainbows and sunshine, the whole world would be at peace. To think that countries that hate every single aspect of America and its people wouldn't take advantage of an American downfall is ludicrous and naive. I know it's not that simple. Not only that but believing that change comes anything but slow is extremely ignorant and foolish. If you need some sort of example, I'll go ahead and go with the race issue. The 13th, 14th, and 15th were set in the 1800s, and no real, significant progress was made until the 60s. There are still countless problems remaining today. If you can't deduce that change is possible but SLOW, than you need to look back in history all together. I don't say that world peace wouldn't be fabulous, but the probability of it being attained EVER is slim.




My friends that believe these things also think that their style and thought process is original. Excuse me while I broadcast this NEWSFLASH, but as you buy your clothes from some huge chain store, drink coffee from Starbucks, and listen to your 'original' music, there is a team of people sitting in an office figuring out exactly how to advertise products and make all of these things appeal to YOU. You are getting a standard education and are probably the standard college student. You think that your extreme environmentalism and your philanthropy and anti-establishment views make you one-of-a-kind? You're in the midst of this generation of 20-somethings so desperate for an identity in society that they draw concepts from previous generations and think of it as some kind of rebellion. Your art, your music, your clothing style--you didn't just wake up with this BRAND new idea, they all derive from your experiences, influences, and knowledge. You got all that from somewhere. I'm not saying people don't have a distinct style compatible with their personalities.




And on top of all of this, most of what you have was given to you without problem, and the rebellion you promote is allowed because you live here. In a country that tells you you're special. If I'm right, falling for all of that bullshit shows a necessity for some personal examination and some cultural study. Get a grip. Maybe I'm just cynical. Maybe I've just grown more than my girl friends, and in a different direction. Maybe they're right. Maybe hoping for something like world peace and an amicable globe is better. ha. My opinion could change 12 times.


It's not that I don't have a style, ideals, hopes, or dreams myself--I am just trying to be a little realistic.


What sparked this argument? haha

1 comment:

Shambhu said...

What I dislike about american government is what I dislike about every organization I've ever heard of. I firmly believe that anytime more than one person gathers towards a common purpose, that purpose becomes corrupted regardless of what the purpose is. People are far too driven by their own agendas to completely concede to anyone else's agenda, and if they do, they are subconciously percieved as a puppet, and will likely be abused. Things will never be the way I'd like to see them be in america, unless the human race becomes extinct, but I think a happy compromise, would be to lock down all the borders, end all trade with other nations, and become totally self sufficient. I'd love to see all the money that is poured out into aid, and foolish military excursions, in foreign lands, lining the pockets of the corrupt as it goes, put into social reform, and making america the greatest country for americans.